Services and Programs
- Comprehensive Arts Education Programming in three Title I schools (visual art docent, recorders, violin orchestras, cultural field trip for every grade level, musical and dramatic assemblies, family art events, supply donations, after school Art Club and theatre programs, murals, school site exhibits, and participation in our Annual Valley Wide Student Art Show)
- Professional development for classroom teachers
- Cultural field trips
- Weekend family trips to art museums and state parks (to sketch)
- Music and theatrical assemblies
- Extra visual art docent programs during and after school
- After school theatrical and visual arts programs
- Art supply donations
- Family Art Day where students bring families to school on Saturday to make art together
- Evening workshops for parents
The curriculum is written according to the California State Board of Education’s Visual Arts Standards. Every student in grades 1-5 goes on at least one cultural field trip per year. The entire school receives semi-monthly dramatic and musical assemblies. All third graders learn how to read and play music on recorders. Fourth and fifth graders have the option to play in the school violin orchestra. Families participate in weekend art events such as trips to the Getty and LACMA, sketch hikes to nearby state parks, and Family Art Day on campus. At least one school mural is painted every year. After school, there are arts programs such as Art Club, art intervention and theatre.
Middle and High Schools
We make supply donations to existing arts programs (art supplies, musical instruments, etc) as well as sponsor field trips, workshops, art shows, performing arts events, and scholarships to various local arts schools. We have sponsored two special arts exhibitions for middle and high school visual art teachers to give the public a chance to see the works of the talented people teaching in our public schools. For two years in a row, we sponsored a program through the LA Philharmonic that brings professional musicians into one middle school once a week throughout the school year to work with the students.
The Annual Valley Wide Student Art Show is a source of pride for the San Fernando Valley– more...
OutreachAt least once a year we hold some sort of public information meeting for the public such as The Arts Education Town Hall, screenings of documentaries on arts education, dinner meetings, speaker meetings, and workshops. Our Arts Parent Leadership Council empowers parents to get more involved in getting the arts back into their children’s schools.